Goal setting is a process that will help you plan the methods and processes that will help you reach the destination in the mind. If you are considering what is goal setting then read this guide. Goal setting is not just deciding on the goal, but planning and executing the methods that will help you reach your goal.
Why are goals important for employees?
In every corporate company, each employee has key responsibility areas that they need to focus on. It is important for managers to have a specific goal and not just key responsibility areas. Employee’s goal setting should be specific and clearly defined so that it will help your employees focus on their planning and execution.
Goals will also help employees get a clear idea of what the management expects from them.
Strategy for goal setting
Goals need to be SMART.
- Specific – the goals that you set for your managers should be specific. This will help them specifically understand what is expected of them.
- Measurable: It is important for the goal to be measurable. Also, you need to give key indicators that will allow the managers to keep track of their strategy for goal setting.
- Attainable: Goals need to be realistic and attainable. The goals that you set for your managers should be attainable based on the resources, time, and knowledge available.
- Relevant: When you set a goal for your managers, you should ensure that the goals are relevant to their work, their skill sets, and the available resources.
- Time-Bound: Time plays an important role in any goal-setting process. When you set goals for your managers, you need to clearly let them know the time limit for them to reach their goal. This time limit will help them focus on the tasks and work proactively.
Nowadays there are many software available in the market that can help determine the goals and also help the employee plan and execute the strategy for goal setting.